Mushroom Wellington is a great dish to have on hand for the holidays. For those of you who are looking for an exquisite, yet simple, vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner entree, go no further than this recipe! And what's even better? It's a cinch!!!This recipe is great because you can create the filling a day in advance, refrigerate it, and then roll and bake it the day of your meal. This makes everything so much simpler. This can be prepared ahead of time and reheated, but I prefer it fresh from the oven the day of the event.A flaky golden crust encases earthy, flavorful mushrooms and toasted flavor. Non-vegans will love it, too! Is there anything better out there? You may make it ahead of time and use store-bought puff pastry (several vegan brands are available). This is a lifesaver for those of us with small kitchens.
- 12 oz mixed mushrooms portobello, lions mane, shitake, button mushrooms stalks trimmed and cleaned
- 1 cube No-beef bouillon cube or paste 1 cube or 1 tbsp
- 3 large sweet onions peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 10 1/2 oz baby spinach
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves picked
- 1 package vegan puff pastry
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp powdered sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- VEGAN EGG WASH
- 1 tbsp aquafaba chickpea water
- 1 tbsp Oatly Full Fat Oat Milk
- t tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Place a large frying pan over a low to medium-low heat. Add the 1 /2 tbsp of olive oil followed by onion and reduce heat to low. Season with sage, bouillon, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are golden.
- Remove the onions from the pan and return the pan to the heat. Add the baby spinach and cook until wilted. Remove the baby spinach from the pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium/high and return the pan to the heat. Add the remaining olive oil and place the mushrooms, top side down. Cook until lightly golden (about 5 minutes) before turning over and cooking for a further 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from the heat, and drain on a paper towel- top side up as they will release liquid as they cool. Transfer the onions, spinach and mushrooms to the refrigerator and cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 390 Fahrenheit. Place a sheet of baking paper on the baking tray and then place the puff pastry sheet on top. Spread half the caramelized onions over the middle third of the pastry, making sure to leave an extra (¾ inch) border at the edge of the pastry. Top with half of the baby spinach. Spread the dijon mustard over the mushrooms and season well with salt and pepper. Place the mushrooms on top of the spinach. Top the mushrooms with thyme and the remaining baby spinach and onions.
- Very carefully roll the pastry over the top of the mushroom mixture until you have a log. Press down to seal the edges. Roll over the log so that the seam is facing the bottom.
- To make the vegan egg wash, whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Very lightly coat with the vegan egg wash. Place the pastry in the freezer for 10 minutes before repeating with another layer of vegan egg wash and freezing the pastry for a further 10 minutes.
- Place the pastry back on the baking sheet and tray and place in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and flakey.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
ARE YOU UP FOR A CHALLENGE? Why not give VEGANUARY a try! It's 100% Free. Get The Celebrity Cookbook, Easy Meal Plans, Nutrition Guides, Daily Coaching Emails & More! Sign up Now.
CONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS: Be the first to hear about our latest Giveaways, Contests, and Raffles by following us on Instagram where all of our giveaways are featured.
WATCH & LEARN: We have so much exciting content on our YouTube channel with some amazing new shows! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaway contests & more!
GET FEATURED: We would love to publish & promote your delicious vegan recipes on our App, websites, and social media channels. Submit your recipes here!
ADD YOUR LISTING: Are you ready to attract customers and clients hyped on your values and what you offer? We’re all about opening up more possibilities to support small to medium-sized vegan businesses, professionals, and companies, like YOU. Add your listing now!
SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST NEWS: Get exclusive access to the latest vegan businesses, events, and plant-based news hot off the press. Subscribe to our Newsletter.