This creamy, plant-based goat cheese substitute is made from cashews and leftover whey from your adventures in vegan yogurt-making (see notes). Tastier than store-bought (for a lot less money), this is a recipe you'll want to make again and again.
- 2 cup raw cashew pieces soaked 2-4 hours
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt whey from Vegan Greek Yogurt recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Pinch sea salt
- Blender cashews and whey together on high while using tamper tool and stopping to scrape the container.
- Transfer to a glass container and cover with cheese cloth. Leave to sit at room temperature.
- Once bubbles are visible and a skin forms on top (2-3 days), stir the cashew cheese, recover, and allow to sit an additional 1-2 days.
- Stir, add a pinch of salt, and additional flavorings, if using.
- Use a portion scoop to create 3-4 cheese logs and wrap in parchment paper.
- Refrigerate overnight. Enjoy immediately or allow to age; cheese will keep for months and continue to develop flavor and hardness over time.
- This recipe is made using the vegan whey strained from the InstantPot Vegan Greek Yogurt recipe. If you did not make the recipe with soy milk, you likely won't have leftover whey, as you thickened the yogurt with xanthan gum.
- However, you can replace with the same amount of whey with your alternative-milk yogurt; the most important aspect of making this cheese is ensuring the probiotics in the liquid used to blend the cashews are super-fresh and highly active for proper fermentation. Store-bought yogurts can be hit-or-miss, so fresh is best.
- Use your favorite combinations of fresh herbs, fruit preserves, and nut varieties for endless creative flavor options to spread and crumble on everything!
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
LEARN ABOUT PEELED, OUR BRAND NEW TV SHOW: VKind is making VEGAN HISTORY by introducing the first and only all vegan cast cooking competition TV show! Be sure to visit our new Peeled website for the latest news, contests, giveaways, and raffles. Visit PeeledShow.Com now to learn more!
CONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS: Be the first to hear about our latest Giveaways, Contests, and Raffles by following us on Instagram where all of our giveaways are featured.
WATCH & LEARN: We have so much exciting content on our YouTube channel with some amazing new shows! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaway contests & more!
GET FEATURED: We would love to publish & promote your delicious vegan recipes on our App, websites, and social media channels. Submit your recipes here!
ADD YOUR LISTING: Are you ready to attract customers and clients hyped on your values and what you offer? We’re all about opening up more possibilities to support small to medium-sized vegan businesses, professionals, and companies, like YOU. Add your listing now!
SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST NEWS: Get exclusive access to the latest vegan businesses, events, and plant-based news hot off the press. Subscribe to our Newsletter.