This Vegan Vegetable Chowder is simple and savory while also highly nutritious. A great option for a cozy winter meal or overcoming a cold!
I grew loving clam chowder. It was such a treat. It reminds me of taking family trips to beach towns in California. Just thinking about it, I can smell salt water and fish, feeling the cool breeze hit my face. Now that I eat a plant-based diet, I no longer choose to partake in the clam-chowder part of ocean excursions. Instead, I have created my own take on clam chowder. And although the "clam" part is missing, it can be replaced by an a wide array of vegetables- and can be altered to fit almost any occasion! This is a simple soup. This recipe is a good base. You can add any vegetables (I would recommend mushrooms!), or protein such as tofu or tempeh or seitan. I really hope you enjoy this soup as much as I did 🙂
- 4 cups non-dairy milk I used soy milk
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter I used Miyoko's
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 onion
- 3 large carrots
- 4 stalks of celery
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cup frozen corn
- 2 –5 Tbsp salt as much that tastes good to you
- 2 Tbsp pepper again, as much that tastes good to you
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- Start by pre-cutting all of the vegetables. This will make it easier when you start adding things in. Cut the onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes.
- In a small pot, boil water and add in your cut potatoes. Potatoes should be about the size of a quarter. They should take about 15–20 minutes to cook most of the way through. They should be cooked to be soft, but not falling apart. Strain once they are mostly cooked, and set aside.
- In a large pot, olive oil on medium. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Cook and stir frequently for about 10 minutes. Then turn off heat.
- In a separate, smaller pot, melt the butter on medium. Add in flour and whisk together. It will form clumps. Continually stir. Add in milk gradually and continue to stir. You will only add 2 cups of the milk. It will become thicker. Once it is smooth, turn off the heat. This step will take about 10 minutes start to finish.
- In the large pot, turn on the heat to medium, and add in the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add in potatoes.
- Add in "cream" sauce. And rest of the milk.
- Add in salt and pepper.
- Add in frozen veggies.
- Stir together and bring to a simmer. Taste test. Add more seasoning if necessary. Add more milk if necessary.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes, and then turn it off to cool. It is done!
- Add parsley to serving as garnish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
CONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS: Be the first to hear about our latest Giveaways, Contests, and Raffles by following us on Instagram where all of our giveaways are featured.
WATCH & LEARN: We have so much exciting content on our YouTube channel with some amazing new shows! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaway contests & more!
GET FEATURED: We would love to publish & promote your delicious vegan recipes on our App, websites, and social media channels. Submit your recipes here!
ADD YOUR LISTING: Are you ready to attract customers and clients hyped on your values and what you offer? We’re all about opening up more possibilities to support small to medium-sized vegan businesses, professionals, and companies, like YOU. Add your listing now!
SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST NEWS: Get exclusive access to the latest vegan businesses, events, and plant-based news hot off the press. Subscribe to our Newsletter.