A rich and sophisticated vegan pâté appetizer guaranteed to impress your soiree guests.
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms
- ½ small red onion chopped
- 1 small shallot chopped
- ¼ cup raw walnuts
- ¼ cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 shot Calvados brandy
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- Fresh chives for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
Porcini Cashew Cream
- 8-10 dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 4 red onions
- 2 oz ¼ cup Melt Organic® vegan butter
- ½ cup raw cane sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1½ cups red wine
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Toast nuts in a non-stick pan on low heat until aromatic and beginning to turn golden, taking precaution not to burn (about 5 minutes).
- In a second pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then add chopped onion and shallot. Stir and cook on medium heat until brown and soft; add sliced mushrooms and seasonings. Continue cooking 5 minutes, or until mushrooms have softened; the goal is to impart more flavor through caramelization, without burning the mushrooms.
- Using a lighter or long match, Pour Calvados brandy into pan and immediately ignite with a lighter or long match to flambé. Be cautious to not lean over the pan for this step.
- Add sautéed mushrooms and nuts to the food processor and process mixture to your liking (I personally like to leave a few little chunks for a pleasing added texture). Pack Pâté tightly in two 8oz oven-safe glass jars up to ¾ of jar capacity and bake for 25 minutes. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Make Porcini Cream
- Soak cashews overnight (or boil for 15 minutes, remove from heat and set aside to cool completely). Soak dried mushrooms in hot water; cool completely.
- Add the mushrooms to a food processor along with the soaked cashews, 1/4 cup water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, parsley and the salt. Process until smooth. Add water if necessary. Reserve in the fridge.
Make Onion Jam
- Finely slice red onions and cook in butter in a saucepan over high heat, about 10 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar; cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add red wine and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking until liquid has evaporated and reduced to a jam consistency, about 60 minutes. Will keep in a sterilized glass jar in the refrigerator up to four weeks.
Finish & Garnish
- To assemble hors d’œuvre, toast bread, cut a ¼ inch slice of pâté and lay it on the warm bread. Pipe on Porcini Cashew Cream and top with a teaspoon of confit. Garnish with fresh herbs or mushroom chips.
- Pâté de campagne is best enjoyed at room temperature, so make sure to take it out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving.
- A buckwheat bread or sourdough bread is a good choice to pair with the pâté. Toast your bread for added texture and some temperature contrast.
This recipe was served at the red carpet premiere event for "Peeled", the first all-vegan cooking competition show. Chef Sandra Hurtault was a finalist and created this recipe for the event as well as the cookbook, "Peeled For The Holidays". This sophisticated recipe is sure to impress any guest!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
LEARN ABOUT PEELED, OUR BRAND NEW TV SHOW: VKind is making VEGAN HISTORY by introducing the first and only all vegan cast cooking competition TV show! Be sure to visit our new Peeled website for the latest news, contests, giveaways, and raffles. Visit PeeledShow.Com now to learn more!
CONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS: Be the first to hear about our latest Giveaways, Contests, and Raffles by following us on Instagram where all of our giveaways are featured.
WATCH & LEARN: We have so much exciting content on our YouTube channel with some amazing new shows! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaway contests & more!
GET FEATURED: We would love to publish & promote your delicious vegan recipes on our App, websites, and social media channels. Submit your recipes here!
ADD YOUR LISTING: Are you ready to attract customers and clients hyped on your values and what you offer? We’re all about opening up more possibilities to support small to medium-sized vegan businesses, professionals, and companies, like YOU. Add your listing now!
SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST NEWS: Get exclusive access to the latest vegan businesses, events, and plant-based news hot off the press. Subscribe to our Newsletter.