Embark on a culinary journey that celebrates the vibrant flavors of West African cuisine with our Vegan Jollof Rice recipe. This iconic dish encapsulates the essence of traditional Jollof Rice while embracing a compassionate twist by using plant-based ingredients. Get ready to savor the rich aroma, lively colors, and irresistible taste of this delectable creation that pays homage to heritage and health alike.
- 2 cups long-grain parboiled rice
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 cup mixed vegetables carrots, peas, corn
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon or seasoning cube
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- Fresh cilantro or parsley chopped (for garnish)
Prepare the Rice
- Wash the rice thoroughly until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes, then drain.2 cups long-grain parboiled rice
Blend the Tomato Sauce
- In a blender, combine the tomato puree, red bell pepper, half of the chopped onion, garlic, and ginger. Blend until you have a smooth sauce.1 cup tomato puree, 1 onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 red bell pepper
Cook the Sauce
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the remaining chopped onion and sauté until translucent.3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Add the blended tomato sauce and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens and the oil starts to separate.
- Add paprika, thyme, curry powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, and vegetable bouillon or seasoning cube. Stir well to combine and let the spices cook for a couple of minutes.1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon or seasoning cube, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Stir in the mixed vegetables and diced green bell pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.1 cup mixed vegetables, 1 green bell pepper
- Add the soaked and drained rice to the pot, stirring gently to coat the rice with the tomato sauce and spices.
- Pour in the vegetable broth or water and season with salt to taste. Stir well to combine.Salt to taste, 3 cups vegetable broth or water
Cook the Rice
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and let the rice simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed. Avoid stirring the rice too much to prevent it from becoming mushy.
Steam the Rice
- Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and let the rice sit, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. This will allow the rice to steam and fluff up.
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains. Transfer the vegan jollof rice to a serving dish and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.Fresh cilantro or parsley
- Serve the flavorful vegan jollof rice as a main dish or side dish. It pairs well with plant-based proteins, salads, or sautéed greens.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Vkind Vibes is our popular weekly newsletter where we share the latest news, tastiest recipes, and hottest trends impacting the VegEconomy. SUBSCRIBE NOW!
WANT MORE?JOIN US AT VKX 2023! The Vkind Experience (VKX) is an immersive plant-based event celebrating travel, culture, and cuisine around the world as guests explore 11 experiential rooms while sampling an elevated fusion of world flavors.
JOIN THE VKIND COMMUNITY Download the Vkind app on the App Store or Google Play to create your social profile and start sharing reviews of vegan businesses, watch original content, and explore the plant-based world with your friends!
JOIN THE VEGECONOMY Are you a vegan brand owner or professional? Add your listing to our business search platform to get more eyes on your vegan enterprise.
TAKE THE VEGECONOMY PLEDGE Take the VegEconomy Pledge to show support for sustainable business practices and make a commitment to Spend Like You Give A Damn.
WATCH & LEARN Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaways & more!
STREAM “PEELED”, THE ALL-VEGAN COOKING COMPETITION SHOW Produced by Vkind Studios in a limited 3-part web series, Peeled is the award-winning all-vegan cooking competition show that’s on a search to find “America’s Hottest Vegan Chef”.
FOLLOW & SHARE Our content is always entertaining, educational, and inclusive. Follow us everywhere on social media!
SHARE VEGAN RECIPES Share your delicious vegan recipes with the Vkind Community on our app and website.