These Seitan Steaks combine cooked lentils and vital wheat gluten for the perfect vegan-friendly steak dinner!
- SEITAN STEAKS
- 3/4 cup cooked lentils I use canned-drain and rinse. (You can also use chickpeas, black beans or black eyed peas)
- 1 3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup Veg broth
- 4 tbsp JustOne Organics beet crystals Can sub with 1/2 cup Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup or agave
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1/4 tsp Worchestire sauce
- 1. In a food processor, add all seitan steak ingredients and pulse, scraping down the sides as needed until combined. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender or high speed blender- combine all ingredients EXCEPT vital wheat gluten. Once combined, stir in vital wheat gluten.
- 2. Dump the seitan onto a clean working surface. Sprinkle a little vital wheat gluten to prevent it from sticking. Knead the mixture together for a few minutes until it’s no longer crumbly.
- 3. Flatten the ball somewhat, then cut into 4 sections. Use a rolling pin to flatten the steaks further. They are the best when they are thin- about ½ an inch thick.
- 4. Place the steaks in a steamer basket with water on the bottom and steam for 30 minutes. Make sure the water doesn’t all evaporate. Turn the steaks halfway through so they cook evenly.
- 5. While the steaks steam, fill zip lock bags with your marinade and mix together. Place steaks in a ziplock bag and set in the fridge for 30 minutes. Turn halfway through while they are soaking in the fridge.
- 6. Heat a large pan (I prefer cast iron) with a few tablespoons of oil. Add steaks and cook for a few minutes on each side until blackened. You can also do this on a grill until char marks are formed. Make sure to brush marinade on the steaks as they cook.
- 7. Serve immediately with your favorite vegan side dish! I paired here japanese zucchini and roasted red potatoes)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
CONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS: Be the first to hear about our latest Giveaways, Contests, and Raffles by following us on Instagram where all of our giveaways are featured.
WATCH & LEARN: We have so much exciting content on our YouTube channel with some amazing new shows! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaway contests & more!
GET FEATURED: We would love to publish & promote your delicious vegan recipes on our App, websites, and social media channels. Submit your recipes here!
ADD YOUR LISTING: Are you ready to attract customers and clients hyped on your values and what you offer? We’re all about opening up more possibilities to support small to medium-sized vegan businesses, professionals, and companies, like YOU. Add your listing now!
SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST NEWS: Get exclusive access to the latest vegan businesses, events, and plant-based news hot off the press. Subscribe to our Newsletter.