Thick, creamy Black Bean Soup that’s loaded with hidden veggies! Simple directions & simple ingredients. Top with the most divine smoky cashew cream sauce.
Soup season is the best season. This creamy Black Bean Soup is super wholesome and flavorful. Perfect for meal prepping as it keeps very well in the fridge and can easily be enjoyed as a soup on it’s own or even as a topping to rice bowls or taco salads. One quick batch cook to get you through the week! You know… for those weeks that you just can’t. LET’S BREAK OUT OUR INSTANT POT The Instant Pot is by far one of the top 5 necessary appliances in my kitchen. It get’s weekly (and sometimes daily) use. Here’s a few of my favorite uses ⤵ Batch cooking dried beans – I basically cook a whole pound of chickpeas every week or two to make some homemade hummus. (Like this one!) Steam potatoes for air frying or easy lunches all week Simple soups & chilis for easy dinners Refried beans or thick soups like the Black Bean Soup we’re making today! I just love how easy the Instant Pot makes cooking things that would otherwise need a lot of your attention on the stove top.
- 6 cloves garlic minced fine
- ½ medium sweet onion diced
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 bell peppers red is best deseeded & chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno diced deseeded or omitted for less/no spice
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 lb dried black beans soaked overnight minimum 8 hrs
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Smoky Cashew Cream* recipe below!
- fresh pico de gallo or chopped tomatoes
- thinly sliced jalapenos
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- Smoky Cashew Cream
- ¾ cup raw cashews soaked 8 hrs or boiled 10 minutes till soft
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Black Bean Soup
- 1. Soak dry black beans overnight or a minimum of 8 hrs
- 2. Set Instant Pot to sauté. Add in prepared garlic, onion, celery and carrot. Sauté for about 6-8 minutes until onions begin to look translucent, stirring occasionally. (Add small splashes of water if veggies begin to stick)
- 3. To instant pot add peppers, jalapenos, spices, soaked and drained black beans and tomato paste and mix to combine. Stir in water and make sure all tomato paste is fully incorporated before pressure cooking.
- 4. Pressure cook for 8 minutes and allow natural release.
- 5. When pressure release valve has gone down, use immersion blended to blend soup to desired texture. I prefer mostly smooth with just a little chunkiness left behind. (Can alternatively allow soup to cool a bit more and then carefully blend 3/4 of soup in a stand blender)
- 6. Stir in lime juice, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir in cashew cream (recipe below) or alternatively top each bowl with a dollop individually. Serve with any or all of the optional toppings listed!
- Smoky Cashew Cream*
- 1. Blend all ingredients in a bullet style blender!
- Use as a topping for the soup as you serve, or mix it all directly into the soup before serving.
- *Cashew Substitution– If you have a nut allergy but still prefer a creamy soup, you could stir in 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk as an alternative.
- Storage- Soup will keep in the fridge for 5-7 days
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
CONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS: Be the first to hear about our latest Giveaways, Contests, and Raffles by following us on Instagram where all of our giveaways are featured.
WATCH & LEARN: We have so much exciting content on our YouTube channel with some amazing new shows! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaway contests & more!
GET FEATURED: We would love to publish & promote your delicious vegan recipes on our App, websites, and social media channels. Submit your recipes here!
ADD YOUR LISTING: Are you ready to attract customers and clients hyped on your values and what you offer? We’re all about opening up more possibilities to support small to medium-sized vegan businesses, professionals, and companies, like YOU. Add your listing now!
SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST NEWS: Get exclusive access to the latest vegan businesses, events, and plant-based news hot off the press. Subscribe to our Newsletter.