vKind Featured Halloween Recipe
Vegan Double Dark Chocolate Cake with Cardamom Buttercream and Edible Glass Demon Eye
“My creations exude my adoration of the dark, the macabre, the Goth subculture that I hold dear and my Nigerian heritage that runs through my veins. Nature provides some of the more dark shades in her wares, and I love that in my creations. They are an extension of myself to you. Food is art. Nature is medicine. Darkness is beautiful. Combined – they are powerful. ~ Nnaus A.O. Feratu”
Recipe, Photography and Food Styling by Nnaus A.O. Feratu / Goth In The Raw
For The Cake:
- 4 cups white unbleached flour
- ½ cup carob powder
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 cup roughly chopped bittersweet vegan baking chocolate or vegan chocolate chunks
- 3 cups organic cane sugar
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp aquafaba chickpea water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 cups almond milk or other plant-based milk of choice
- 2 tbsps madagascar vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
For The Buttercream:
- 1 cup 2 sticks vegan butter, softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoon Madagascar vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3-4 tablespoons full fat coconut milk adjust with more or less to adjust the consistency, if needed
For The Decorations:
- Fondx Brown vegan fondant
- Fondx White vegan fondant
- Vegan edible gold luster dust
- Isomalt granules for the glass eye
- Mini eye silicone mold
- Edible pupils on edible paper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter your 9x13 inch cake pan and place in the fridge until needed.
- In a bowl, sift all of your dry ingredients: flour, carob powder, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt; set aside.
- In a stand mixer or by hand, whisk all wet ingredients: milk, oil, vanilla, aquafaba; until well combined.
- Next, add the dry ingredients until batter is smooth and lustrous; gently fold in the chocolate.
- Pour all of the batter into the cake pan; place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until the tooth inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once done, set to let cool overnight (in the fridge is okay as well).
- With the cake completely cooled, remove from the cake pan (carefully) and divide the cake into two equal halves. To make sure the cakes are flat, use a serrated knife to carefully trim down the bump of the cake.
- Frost the top of your first layer with the buttercream and top with the other half of the cake. Frost the top and sides with buttercream with a crumb coating; place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- While the cake is in firming, roll out your white fondant for the sides of the cake and the brown fondant for the spine and cover of the book, making sure the fondant is ¼ inch thick.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and attach the fondant to the cake (tip: use a brush to with a bit of water the brush the sides and top of the cake before carefully/gently adding the fondant). Using a fondant smoother, gently smooth down the sides and top making sure there are no air bubbles present.
- With the spare brown fondant, roll a small amount into thin strands to create the pentagram and a small amount of fondant into a thin long strand for the circle of the pentagram. Secure them with a little bit of water and a small brush.
- Optional: The Glass Demon Eye is made with Isomalt and edible eye wafer paper.
- Conjure, cut and serve to the mortals and immortals of your choice.
Submit your own Halloween recipes to be featured on our app!
HOW TO GET INVOLVEDCONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS: Be the first to hear about our latest Giveaways, Contests, and Raffles by following us on Instagram where all of our giveaways are featured.
WATCH & LEARN: We have so much exciting content on our YouTube channel with some amazing new shows! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaway contests & more!
GET FEATURED: We would love to publish & promote your delicious vegan recipes on our App, websites, and social media channels. Submit your recipes here!
ADD YOUR LISTING: Are you ready to attract customers and clients hyped on your values and what you offer? We’re all about opening up more possibilities to support small to medium-sized vegan businesses, professionals, and companies, like YOU. Add your listing now!
SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST NEWS: Get exclusive access to the latest vegan businesses, events, and plant-based news hot off the press. Subscribe to our Newsletter.