This Festive Vegan Seitan Turkey is the perfect recipe for your first Vegan Thanksgiving!
- 2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup Not Milk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup canned chickpeas
- 1/3 block firm tofu
- 3 tbsp marmite
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 tbsp dried tarragon
- 1 tbsp mushroom powder
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries
- Your favorite stuffing recipe
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp black salt
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 cups white wine
- fresh thyme and rosemary
- 1 red onion or shallot
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 cups no chicken broth
- Make your seitan rub ahead of time. Cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, paprika, dried rosemary, and thyme are all included in this recipe. Set it aside in a jar or small bowl for later use.
- Use your prepared stuffing, prepare it now and set aside so that you can move on to step 4 without delay.
- The cranberries should not be blended. Stuff the vegan roast with your stuffing mixture, which you should set aside until the last minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat gluten, onion powder, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast. To combine the wet and dry ingredients, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the Not Milk, wine, marmite, chickpeas, tofu, garlic cloves, dried rosemary, tarragon, and thyme, as well as the garlic powder and dried herbs.
- Fold in the wet ingredients with your hands and begin to knead the dough as it comes together.
- Knead the dough on a flat surface until it is smooth and elastic. The dough becomes more fibrous and elastic as you knead it for a longer period of time. Avoid over-kneading the dough if you prefer a softer texture. Knead a little longer if you want a more "meaty" texture. It took about 5 minutes of kneading to get my mix to the right consistency.
- Next, you'll need to roll the dough out into a rectangle that's about half an inch thick. Add your wet stuffing mix in a cylinder shape and spread it out evenly. Don't forget about the dimensions of your roasting pan!
- The next step is to form a perfect cylinder out of the dough, stuffing in the center. Physically, you should be able to roll as tightly as you can. My husband gave me a hand with this part of the project. As I worked to bind the two ends together, he held the dough in place. I also rubbed in the pre-mixed seitan rub all over the dough during this time. Stain-resistant meche/muslin is used to keep the seitan from clinging.
- Wrap the stuffed seitan roast in muslin and secure it in place. Cooking twine / string can be used to secure it in place at four points. Pre-heat the oven to 350 °F while you prepare your broth.
- Toss all of your broth ingredients into a roasting pan. In order to hold the fluid, you'll need a deep roasting pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, insert the seitan into the stock. If it's not completely submerged, don't worry. Top the roast with a few spoonfuls of the broth mixture. Put the dish in the oven for about 40 minutes, covered with tin foil. Take the roast out of the oven and flip it over for another 40 minutes
- Pour the broth through a strainer into a blender and blitz until smooth. With a roast, this will make a wonderful gravy. The gravy can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- If you don't plan to serve the seitan right away, you can either let it cool down completely or put it in the fridge for a few hours. Once it has cooled, remove the meche/muslin. Ensure the seitan turkey roast is piping hot through the center by wrapping it in cling film and heating it in the oven for about 35 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you're going to serve the seitan right away, return it to the oven for a further 25 minutes at the same temperature to crisp the outside.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
CONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS: Be the first to hear about our latest Giveaways, Contests, and Raffles by following us on Instagram where all of our giveaways are featured.
WATCH & LEARN: We have so much exciting content on our YouTube channel with some amazing new shows! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for our latest shows, live events, interviews, videos, news, secret giveaway contests & more!
GET FEATURED: We would love to publish & promote your delicious vegan recipes on our App, websites, and social media channels. Submit your recipes here!
ADD YOUR LISTING: Are you ready to attract customers and clients hyped on your values and what you offer? We’re all about opening up more possibilities to support small to medium-sized vegan businesses, professionals, and companies, like YOU. Add your listing now!
SUBSCRIBE FOR THE LATEST NEWS: Get exclusive access to the latest vegan businesses, events, and plant-based news hot off the press. Subscribe to our Newsletter.